Why d/yourname vs b/ or g/ or c/ of p/

biolizard89

Re: Why d/yourname vs b/ or g/ or c/ of p/

Post by biolizard89 »

That's true @virtual_master; it's possible for someone to pre-register names in a namespace and then announce a spec that uses that namespace. Given the limited number of namespaces being proposed, I don't see this as a major problem.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

Google

Post by Google »

jdbtracker wrote:And that is the beauty of it, you can start your own folder within the Name Hierarchy... why not just use your company name as a namespace and create a personal network from there for yourself. Hell why not start a p2pool network or folding network where F@H clients communicate off of? All running off of your local blockchain, never touching the outside Internet.

It's up to you.
So who created the "d/" folder ? who owns that "folder" on the ledger? does it benefit that person on any way they we use their "folder" to claim namespaces within it? ie

I say folder but im not sure if that's the right term I should be using

georgem

Post by georgem »

Google wrote:
jdbtracker wrote:And that is the beauty of it, you can start your own folder within the Name Hierarchy... why not just use your company name as a namespace and create a personal network from there for yourself. Hell why not start a p2pool network or folding network where F@H clients communicate off of? All running off of your local blockchain, never touching the outside Internet.

It's up to you.
So who created the "d/" folder ? who owns that "folder" on the ledger? does it benefit that person on any way they we use their "folder" to claim namespaces within it? ie

say namespace instead of folder.

Look at it like this. Much like when you create a subfolder on your harddisk and put a file in it. It doesn't matter who created the folder. What matters is the file that's in it.
It costs you NMC to create and hold such a file.

Everyone is open to create new folders/namespaces. But you can't just create a folder on its own. You always need to create atleast one file/name in this folder. And this costs NMC.

You can't create an empty folder, if that's what you ask.

georgem

Post by georgem »

georgem wrote:
Google wrote:

It's up to you.

Look at it like this. Much like when you create a subfolder on your harddisk and put a file in it. It doesn't matter who created the folder. What matters is the file that's in it.

Everyone is open to create new folders/namespaces. But you can't just create a folder on its own. You always need to create atleast one file/name in this folder. And this costs NMC.

EDIT: no wait, you can create an empty folder, by registering the name "" (nothing, empty space) with it. But still it is considered a name, it's just that the name is "" (empty)

Am I right?

Google

Post by Google »

georgem wrote:
Google wrote:

It's up to you.

is this not an empty folder?

http://explorer.dot-bit.org/tx/2555746

georgem

Post by georgem »

doublepost... sorry
Last edited by georgem on Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

georgem

Post by georgem »

doublepost... sorry (I clicked on edit, but after submit it created another post? why?)
Last edited by georgem on Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

georgem

Post by georgem »

Google wrote: is this not an empty folder?

http://explorer.dot-bit.org/tx/2555746

Hm I think the best way to understand it is to not look at it as folder, but as a name. So forget everything about folders and namespace. They don't really exist.

a/ is just a part of a name. It doesn't really exist as folder. It's a name.

a/testname is also a name.

This doesn't mean that a/ somehow owns a/testname.

It's like car, and carpet
car
carpet

car would be a/
carpet would be a/testname

Look at a/ or d/ or e/ or whatever/ as simply strings. It's like a substring, or partword or subword...

the / is like a marker to tell software specifications what protocol to use.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

georgem is correct; the Namecoin client/protocol doesn't have any such thing as namespaces, just names. The d/ is just a hint to any software that might want to parse the data, so that different data formats can be used without confusing the software. No one owns a namespace.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5