I can't get any confirmations!

seinaaa

I can't get any confirmations!

Post by seinaaa »

Hi,

Namecoin has been working fine up until yesterday. Since then, I just can't get a confirmation to go through on a couple of sendtoaddress transactions. "listtransactions" list confirmations at zero... it's been like this for 24 hours.

I've stopped/started namecoind (win32).. I've ensured the firewall is off. getinfo says I have 8 connections.

I just had a mining pool withdraw some namcoins to my wallet.. they showed up in seconds. I've received confirmations since then on this received transaction.

My last 2 send transactions simply will not go.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

seinaaa

Re: I can't get any confirmations!

Post by seinaaa »

this is just bizzaro.. is my NC install fooked?

if so, how can I recover to another computer using my wallet.dat ? the dodgy transactions would go along with the wallet?

Chucksta

Post by Chucksta »

seinaaa wrote:this is just bizzaro.. is my NC install fooked?

if so, how can I recover to another computer using my wallet.dat ? the dodgy transactions would go along with the wallet?
To transfer your wallet to another computer, just install namecoin to that computer, then copy your wallet.dat from:

c:\users\<your windows login id>\AppData\Roaming\namecoin

to the same location on the other computer. In fact, be sure to keep copies of that wallet.dat at a number of locations. The wallet itself does not hold the coins, it's just a pointer of sorts to what is yours (namcoins) and transactions made.

Run namecoind, and leave it for a while to work out what is going on with the namecoins (it escapes my what it is actually doing! ... too much drink at the weekend /hic ).

No idea for why you are not getting any confirmations. I have sent a few through in the last 24 hours, with no problems.

using "namecoind listtransactions", does the catagory show "send" ?

seinaaa

Post by seinaaa »

where are transactions stored on my PC?

I want to orphan these stupid stuck transactions.... try another PC.\

to confirm, only wallet.dat is all that matters? this has coins and names?

Chucksta

Post by Chucksta »

Yes, only wallet.dat is needed (back it up)
All you need is stored in your wallet. But, don't forget to backup regularly your wallet if you receive or send namecoins, or update domains, because that will generate new keys that won't be in your old wallet.
quote of what Khal said on another thread

I forgot that the wallet does keep a record of the keys (namecoin addresses) that belong to you !

I do not know how to orphan a transaction, and I'd wait till someone like Khal (high level of knowledge about how this all works) answers this, before trying to do something like that.

Was the address you sent to correct ? I have no idea if it is possible to send to an invalid address, but you never know.

khal
Site Admin

Post by khal »

Before deleting transactions (with the deletetransaction command), it would be better to know why they are "frozen". If you delete them and they are accepted by a miner later (because they keep it in memory) you may be sad :p.
One solution would be to delete them and to send all your money to youself. That way, only this big transaction, or the frozen would will be accepted (once the big tx is accepted, your previous addresses won't hold any money and frozen tx won't be valid anymore).

It would be more simple to know why they are still at 0 conf (you may find more infos in the debug.log file, search for the first 8 chars of your txid).
NamecoinID: id/khal
GPG : 9CC5B92E965D69A9
NMC: N1KHAL5C1CRzy58NdJwp1tbLze3XrkFxx9
BTC: 1KHAL8bUjnkMRMg9yd2dNrYnJgZGH8Nj6T

Register Namecoin domains with BTC
My bitcoin Identity - Send messages to bitcoin users
Charity Ad - Make a good deed without paying a cent

seinaaa

Post by seinaaa »

khal wrote:One solution would be to delete them and to send all your money to youself. That way, only this big transaction, or the frozen would will be accepted (once the big tx is accepted, your previous addresses won't hold any money and frozen tx won't be valid anymore).
I can't send any transactions at all. I tried a small .01 earlier.. it is also stuck.
khal wrote: It would be more simple to know why they are still at 0 conf (you may find more infos in the debug.log file, search for the first 8 chars of your txid).
debug.log mentions several repeats of the following -

AcceptToMemoryPool (): accepted xxxxxxxxx
Relaying wtx xxxxxxxxx
received getdata for: tx xxxxxxxxx
sending tx: tx (289 bytes)

Nothing else.

This is a large stuck transaction > 1000 NCs.

khal, can you confirm wallet.data contains -

- all addresses
- all names I've registered
- all transactions

Are there any other files that I would need to copy to another machine? I figure I could transfer to another machine.. and see if the txs get re-broadcasted.

Thanks.

Chucksta

Post by Chucksta »

No other files are needed, only the wallet.dat

khal
Site Admin

Post by khal »

seinaaa wrote:khal, can you confirm wallet.data contains -

- all addresses
- all names I've registered
- all transactions
Yes.

If you are still stuck and you want to trust me, you can send me your wallet. I could try and test all the possibilities.

An other remark : be sure to use latest release of namecoin. Previous versions may not be so strict with transactions, so you may have more info in debug. Maybe you simply have a bad blockchain so your tx is not accepted (not sure about that). Maybe it is a transaction fee problem (not enough fee in your tx to be accepted by the network).

What is the fee ? (sadly, the tx size is not displayed with gettransaction, only the fee)
NamecoinID: id/khal
GPG : 9CC5B92E965D69A9
NMC: N1KHAL5C1CRzy58NdJwp1tbLze3XrkFxx9
BTC: 1KHAL8bUjnkMRMg9yd2dNrYnJgZGH8Nj6T

Register Namecoin domains with BTC
My bitcoin Identity - Send messages to bitcoin users
Charity Ad - Make a good deed without paying a cent

seinaaa

Post by seinaaa »

Who runs Bitparking Namecoin Exchange?

This stuck tx was going to the exchange.. this receiving address has since disappeared from my Namecoin Exchange control panel. I presume there was a 24-hr time frame for receiving NCs.

I want to contact the owner to ensure they are still tracking this address, in case the tx goes through..