[ANN] NameID - Use namecoin id/ to log into OpenID sites

domob

Re: [ANN] NameID - Use namecoin id/ to log into OpenID sites

Post by domob »

phelix wrote:I wonder if it is possible to run your own OpenID server along side Namecoin...
Of course, but in order to log into sites, they must be able to contact your server at the provided address. (I. e., you can't do it at home locally but need a public server somewhere.)
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

domob

Post by domob »

Over the last days I've overhauled the site, it now features a little layout and the content has been split between multiple pages. Take a look: http://nameid.org/ Please let me know what you think or if you have suggestions (in particular about the FAQs for instance)!
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY

phelix

Post by phelix »

nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

domob

Post by domob »

Interesting! I didn't look through it in details yet, but it seems that this is "orthogonal" to my project. It makes the authentication more sophisticated, where I simply use the namecoin private key. Whether or not this authentication is then used further for OpenID or whatever else seems to be not in the scope of badger.

domob

Post by domob »

Another update: I now moved the site to a new hosting provider and have HTTPS enabled. This is the point when I will start using it myself, since now it is hopefully mostly secure. ;)

phelix

Post by phelix »

The site looks great. You might want to consider making the "log in" link larger or making it a button.

I just logged in successfully. One thing I noticed is that with Namecoin-Qt it impossible to find out the address a name belongs to. Will suggest to Snailbrain.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

domob

Post by domob »

phelix wrote:The site looks great. You might want to consider making the "log in" link larger or making it a button.

I just logged in successfully. One thing I noticed is that with Namecoin-Qt it impossible to find out the address a name belongs to. Will suggest to Snailbrain.
Thanks for trying it out! You can also use "Your ID" to sign in, and of course you will be directed to the log in page if you try to sign into an OpenID website with "nameid.org". (Although it seems to work only for some sites, not sure what the reason is - I guess the others are not using OpenID 2.0 as my library does).

The idea is to never manually sign messages, with the Mozilla add-on. Although yes, having the address shown would at least simplify the process a bit. (Or even a "sign with name" function in the UI.)

moa

Post by moa »

phelix wrote:The site looks great. You might want to consider making the "log in" link larger or making it a button.

You can go to the Help/Debug window and type rpc call "name_show id/name" ... not sure if that is what you were looking for?

snailbrain

Post by snailbrain »

yes just do name_show in debug window

but.. they might not have put any information..

if not, without being able to send a message the only thing you could do communicate to them (atm) is to transfer them a name,,

maybe 1/I_want_to_buy_<name>
and could put invalid json string with a message, and/or bm address

but.. when you say unable to find out an address a name belongs too. you mean reverse lookup? ..
e.g. put in the address N1fdkjsfljlsjgflskgfldskj3323 and find out which name is this address? i think have to search block explorer unless we implemented something into the qt.. not sure how much "work" it would be :) .. or do you mean just intergrate name_show into gui?

also.. on windows.. the QT is "smashing the hard drive" when updating chain.. i wonder if the commits we added to speed things up actually made things worse? .. (namecoind original i remember used to be pretty bad too, before the qt.. i can't remember if was worse or the same)

domob

Post by domob »

snailbrain wrote:yes just do name_show in debug window

but.. they might not have put any information..

if not, without being able to send a message the only thing you could do communicate to them (atm) is to transfer them a name,,

maybe 1/I_want_to_buy_<name>
and could put invalid json string with a message, and/or bm address

but.. when you say unable to find out an address a name belongs too. you mean reverse lookup? ..
e.g. put in the address N1fdkjsfljlsjgflskgfldskj3323 and find out which name is this address? i think have to search block explorer unless we implemented something into the qt.. not sure how much "work" it would be :) .. or do you mean just intergrate name_show into gui?

also.. on windows.. the QT is "smashing the hard drive" when updating chain.. i wonder if the commits we added to speed things up actually made things worse? .. (namecoind original i remember used to be pretty bad too, before the qt.. i can't remember if was worse or the same)
As I understood it, phelix just meant to "easily" find out the address because that is a first step in order to sign in with NameID -- you need the address to later on perform a "signmessage" command. Thus, you have to do perform two commands in order to sign in:

name_show id/daniel -> gives you address
signmessage address challenge-message -> gives you signature

Then send the signature to the NameID server for verification. These are the steps my add-on does, too. If the address was easily visible (or there was a "signmessagewithname" command) the workflow could be simplified. However, as already mentioned, I think the real solution is to use the add-on (and possibly write add-ons for other platforms than Mozilla in the future as soon as I'm done with the very basic foundation).