Namecoin was stillborn, I had to switch off life-support

phelix

Re: Namecoin was stillborn, I had to switch off life-support

Post by phelix »

d/wav owned by me has been modified, presumably by coinslayer. So the bug is confirmed.

NMDF might set up a bounty for a fix. Donations welcome!
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

snailbrain

Post by snailbrain »

QT dev can issue a fix... getting more details..

seriously donations for thecoder will be greatly appreciated

ninjarobot

Post by ninjarobot »

What is NMC/BTC donation address?

(As it is unclear if donations to NMDF will be used for this, I prefer to send donations directly)

Also, is there a point in sending NMC if the fix includes a hard fork?

snailbrain

Post by snailbrain »

NMC: MyWQAeXSpLLH6GUCtyT6xAVx979YXfWgLK
BTC: 15YPPrb4YNLPyjwJ38cfRJyPFKPK1ag37b

This will go to the dev ...
Hash check is present in RPC command, but missing in the network code, so just need to copy-paste it to the right place. But we must somehow persuade people to upgrade.
I guess we should patch QT plus create a new fork of 3.50 with the fix (so people who are afraid of using the QT can still upgrade).
We should do the following:
1. choose block XXXXXX in the future at which the fix will be enforced (hard fork)
2. between block 139872 and XXXXXX allow bad transactions, but do not write them to nameindex
3. after block XXXXXX reject bad transactions (and blocks containing them)
4. Force rescan of nameindex (not sure how to do properly; deleting nameindex manually would do it, but need something automatic)

Item 2 ensures that the chain is not rejected, but bad name_updates are harmless.
After we do the patch, we need to contact Khal so he updates blockexplorer. Then we probably need to contact exchanges and pools and ask them to upgrade.
This was jsut a quick analysis plan.. so take with a grain of salt

virtual_master

Post by virtual_master »

libcoin wrote:
virtual_master wrote: Of course anything can happen but I am still not convinced in this. May be he hacked somehow d/bitcoin. They are still some contradictions in his behavior.
But if he can change d/wav then I must recognize there is really a bug.
Well try a name_history on d/wav now ;)

I could post the code here, but I see no point in all of you starting to hijack domains. d/bitcoin was chosen as it is was the first registered domain.

I find it bad style to list names of whom I contacted, lets just put it this way that the main contacts on the dot-bit page are apparently not representing the namecoin project that well. Further, in the future post your emails, with pgp keys if you feel you really represent the project. Sorry, to those who I didn't write and who could have helped, but given the nature of the bug it wouldn't really matter. Fixing this can never be an elegant solution, you need a grace period, in which people could exploit the bug.

Again I am happy to help!
OK. You convinced me.
Unfortunately there was no other quick method to convince others since nobody is knowing your pseudonymous identity from the actual active Namecoin Forum.
Of course I am not representing the Namecoin project but we have nobody who represents it. (it is the same like it is by any other cryptocurrency)
Sure you could be the oldest namecoiner in the world or even who developed it. But given only this, until now unknown pseudonymous identity I was able to analyze the facts only based on this.
I must also say you know the source code much better then me and probably than most of us.
So thanks for your demonstration and it would be very kind from you if you could help us to fix it quickly.

I didn't gave an email because I have bad experience with posting emails but I will post my BM address.
Thanks.
http://namecoinia.org/
Calendars for free to print: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF Protect the Environment with Namecoin: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF
BTC: 15KXVQv7UGtUoTe5VNWXT1bMz46MXuePba | NMC: NABFA31b3x7CvhKMxcipUqA3TnKsNfCC7S

hynodeva

Post by hynodeva »

hey.i would like to offer assistence to namecoin development in this situation.

So if you need somebody who tests the patch or implements parts of it, you may pm/email me.

hynodeva dev.

ninjarobot

Post by ninjarobot »

snailbrain wrote:NMC: N5Nw4uk8NNd3UcoJ9jPD5Towdxr9wyGuN6
BTC: 19wDA8D9fnYdp71DhQygWYktHnmW4ygTN9

This will go to the dev
Thanks Snailbrain. Sent 200 NMC. Kudos to the coder for working on a fix!

snailbrain

Post by snailbrain »

ninjarobot wrote:
snailbrain wrote:NMC: N5Nw4uk8NNd3UcoJ9jPD5Towdxr9wyGuN6
BTC: 19wDA8D9fnYdp71DhQygWYktHnmW4ygTN9

This will go to the dev
Thanks Snailbrain. Sent 200 NMC. Kudos to the coder for working on a fix!
thanks on his behalf..

i have changed addresses
NMC: MyWQAeXSpLLH6GUCtyT6xAVx979YXfWgLK
BTC: 15YPPrb4YNLPyjwJ38cfRJyPFKPK1ag37b

but received it fine

khal
Site Admin

Post by khal »

snailbrain wrote:
1. choose block XXXXXX in the future at which the fix will be enforced (hard fork)
2. between block 139872 and XXXXXX allow bad transactions, but do not write them to nameindex
4. Force rescan of nameindex (not sure how to do properly; deleting nameindex manually would do it, but need something automatic)

Item 2 ensures that the chain is not rejected, but bad name_updates are harmless.
After we do the patch, we need to contact Khal so he updates blockexplorer. Then we probably need to contact exchanges and pools and ask them to upgrade.
That's the way to do it, indeed.

4. If we change the name of the nameindex file in the source code, it will generate a scan of all names from the beginning.
NamecoinID: id/khal
GPG : 9CC5B92E965D69A9
NMC: N1KHAL5C1CRzy58NdJwp1tbLze3XrkFxx9
BTC: 1KHAL8bUjnkMRMg9yd2dNrYnJgZGH8Nj6T

Register Namecoin domains with BTC
My bitcoin Identity - Send messages to bitcoin users
Charity Ad - Make a good deed without paying a cent

snailbrain

Post by snailbrain »

khal wrote:
snailbrain wrote:

That's the way to do it, indeed.

4. If we change the name of the nameindex file in the source code, it will generate a scan of all names from the beginning.
<3