I am producing a 'What is Namecoin?' video.

Swedespade

I am producing a 'What is Namecoin?' video.

Post by Swedespade »

Take a look of a sample of what I have done so far: http://youtu.be/_WKjlTDKKmM
I am still waiting on sound FX. Plus polishing it up a bunch.
Please do not post or share with the public. Its not ready!

I am interested in developing a "What is Namecoin?" Video for Namecoin.
*The goal of this video will be to educate people who have already seen the "What is Bitcoin?" video.*

I hope this effort will help add to the network of existing namecoin supporters. In this way .bit domain will become more widespread and evolve into something much greater. Faster:)

Once the first video is complete I plan to create a series of short (30-45sec) videos to explain various concepts related to namecoin, with various goals in mind. I have already started the next video.

Video topic ideas:
1. What is namecoin? .bits / Censorship / Security http://youtu.be/_WKjlTDKKmM (DEMO)
2. Why should I get a dot-bit? namecoin identities
3. Registering a .bit / Viewing an existing dot-bit
4. Merged mining
5. Namecoin id
6. Call to devs

I am calling out to the community in order to help fact check and generally help write the scripts for these topics.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. note that I am also making a website to go with this specific series of videos (weusenamecoins.com - its not up yet, but I will put something up in the next few days).

Here is a public google doc for collaboration: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Lm3 ... zhCuY/edit

So far, I have been collaborating with some of the namecoin devs and the creators of meowbit Michael W Dean. I look forward to collaborating with the community! Please feel free to ask any questions.

I have to pay the bills too so my allotted time to work on this is minimal at the moment. Right now I spend most of my time freelancing (anyone need a logo? MJD

I am creating this on my own time, I hope to create a series of videos (and maybe one day a crypto 'school' to help people adopt the technology). The more funding I receive the more time I can devote to the project. I am also spending my own money to hire sound engineers and voice actors, rentign equipment, etc. so far I've spent ~$200. if you support my efforts, kindly send your donation here:
Bitcoin – 1Ak4cwYsMxJ5mFJM2F3JQ9N5XiUMzk8oeS
Namecoin - N5idbhfNN5QfMAviS4iSPcGcM4Pi6o2YAf
any coin via Cryptsy key – 76331613e1e44f0f7e7f838c6df4c4e404150f4a

Thank you.
Last edited by Swedespade on Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:25 pm, edited 9 times in total.

kurt

Re: Development of a 'What is Namecoin?' video.

Post by kurt »

Great looking video !

maybe add namecoin id ?

I was thinking the same thing with the logo hurry up already !

cool looking video welcome aboard !

Swedespade

Post by Swedespade »

I will definitely talk about namecoin id.
Maybe you could help me write 30 second script and ill start animating!

kurt

Post by kurt »

Will do crazy work week - will have time on the weekend

MWD

Post by MWD »

Good stuff.

You could mention FreeSpeechMe and MeowBit as ways of viewing dot-bit domains.

Should check around here before releasing the final as to when namecoin.org is to become the official site. Currently that site hasn't been updated in forever and namecoin.info is the defacto official site.

I'd remove the line "Namecoin is still in the early stages of development", that's not really accurate. I'd replace it with something like "Improvements to Namecoin are being added all the time."

Michael W. Dean
Namecoin, Dot-Bit and MeowBit are a complete new Internet ecosystem, building the roads to Web 4.0. http://www.meowbit.com
Dot-Bit Kitty Pix! The ONLY .bit-only kitty cat website in the world! http://dotbitkittypix.bit

MWD

Post by MWD »

I'd add something about .bit being more secure than .com. The "governments can't easily shut it down" attracted me first, but it can also be more secure. You touched on that with the "or criminals" part, but I think it could be strengthened with just one or two more lines. I'd also add something about how much cheaper it is to register a .bit domain than ICANN-controlled domains, and how much more quickly .bit propagates worldwide. And stress that you're not screwed if your .com gets taken away if you have a .bit mirror and your viewers know about it and know how to get to it.

I'm thinking you've seen the videos I made for FreeSpeechMe and MeowBit, some of your wording is remarkably similar ("by governments, corporations or criminals. Dot-Bit domains are THE decentralized alternative....").

If you didn't borrow it consciously, I think you borrowed it subconsciously. I don't care if you did. I'm honored.

Since your animation skills are better than mine, why not just take some more lines directly, and credit me. There are some really good lines in the script about the value of Namecoin for decentralized DNS.

The videos and their scripts are released Creative Commons attribution license. Here's the MeowBit video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZH0TE3GqM8

I'll put the script below. If you want to use any of the text, tell me which lines you're using and I'll tell you who to credit. I wrote most of it, biolizard89 (Jeremy) wrote a little bit of it. He removed my credit on his site, but I'm crediting him on mine, and I'll tell you which lines he wrote and which I wrote if you want to use any of the text.
=-=-==-=-

http://meowbit.com/

Tired of the Internet being censored?

Worried about Internet security?

How about a solution that doesn't just replace one potential saboteur with another?

And how about having it for ALL browsers, plus e-mail, instant messenger, FTP, everything on your computer?

MeowBit is Free Software that's NOT a plug-in.

It allows you to effortlessly view Dot-Bit websites. Dot-Bit is a new top-level domain that is NOT controlled by any government or corporation.

You can register a Dot-Bit domain today using the inexpensive cryptocurrency, Namecoin. Dot-Bit domains currently cost a few cents to register, and you don't have to go through anyone else to do it.

Dot-Bit domains are extremely resistant to being shut down or hijacked by governments, corporations or criminals. Dot-Bit domains are THE decentralized alternative to building your whole web presence on a .com or other top-level domain that can be shut down at any time for any reason by any government without due process.

Dot-Bit websites propagate worldwide within a few hours, so new Dot-Bit websites show up promptly for everyone, instead of in 1 to 3 days, like with other domains.

We've already created a working beta of MeowBit. We're raising money to further develop it, and to spread adoption of Dot-Bit websites. Because wide adoption is the key to making this work.

Before we invented MeowBit viewing Dot-Bit domains required changing the DNS settings on a computer, or using a plug-in that was only available for FireFox.

MeowBit is NOT a plug-in, so once you install it, you can surf the Dot-Bit web on ANY browser.

MeowBit is also resistant to DNS or HTTPS hijacking, which is common and easy with normal top-level domains.

This is when someone redirects your traffic to an imposter website, which allows them to steal passwords or install malware. The old way, manually changing DNS settings, actually makes hijacking easier .

With MeowBit, all that hassle and danger is eliminated. MeowBit doesn't require changing anything, so your surfing stays fast and secure. You can navigate from the regular Web to Dot-Bit sites and back, effortlessly and safely.

And website owners don't even have to start a new website. We've written tutorials on setting up a Dot-Bit domain for your Dot-Com or other top-level domain-website. Just give the .bit domain name out to your users and tell them about MeowBit. If anyone ever shuts down your dot-com website, users will still be able to effortlessly get to your website using your Dot-Bit address and our Free Software, MeowBit.

And we have a help forum! And it works!

MeowBit is NOT vaporware. We already have a working version of MeowBit free software for Windows. You can start using it today.

And there are already some Dot-Bit websites. But for now, we need to get the widest user adoption possible, and educate many more Website owners on adding .bit versions of their sites. We've also written clear tutorials on using MeowBit, on using dot bit, and on registering dot bit names with Namecoin.

MeowBit is a game-changing world-advancing leap for freedom. Please help us raise money to further perfect MeowBit, spread its adoption, and help save the Internet from the central scrutinizers of the world.

Thank you!
Namecoin, Dot-Bit and MeowBit are a complete new Internet ecosystem, building the roads to Web 4.0. http://www.meowbit.com
Dot-Bit Kitty Pix! The ONLY .bit-only kitty cat website in the world! http://dotbitkittypix.bit

Swedespade

Post by Swedespade »

Yes, you were my direct inspiration MWD. I was going to contact you at some point, I am glad you found me first:)

I actually bought "weusenamecoins.com" (and .bit) Another resource to provide help towards getting into the namecoin space

I would be happy to collaborate directly with you to spread the word.

So far I think I just used:
"Dot-Bit domains are extremely resistant to being shut down or hijacked by governments, corporations or criminals. Dot-Bit domains are THE decentralized alternative to building your whole web presence on a .com or other top-level domain" - I reworked / am reworking this sentence:
"No central control over your website means it would be difficult to hi-jack or shut-down by governments, corporations or criminals. Dot-bit domains are the decentralized alternative to building your web presence on a STANDARD top level domain."

If there is anything else you noticed let me know. I will likely use more from your script for the up coming videos. Will keep you posted and give credit where its due!

I really like your points:
-cheaper than .com
-speed of propagation
-.bit mirror backup
I think all of these point should be covered in the next video "Why should I get a dot-bit". I would say the video I made is more of an introduction to get the user hungry for more. I want to leave them with questions and direct them to the next short video. Do you agree?

Another option as a next video could be "Viewing an existing dot-bit" which would include more info about meowbit.

I will get a script together for critique asap

Cant wait to push forward!

Anyone going to the Toronto Bitcoin expo this weekend? Want to meet up?
Last edited by Swedespade on Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MWD

Post by MWD »

Swedespade wrote:Yes, you were my direct inspiration MWD. I was going to contact you at some point, I am glad you found me first:)
I would be happy to collaborate directly with you to spread the word....

I'm too busy to collaborate on this. Not going to enumerate everything and bore you, but I don't have time. Feel free to use anything I wrote, with credit and a link to the meowbit.com site.

IM me your e-mail address, and I'll send yo8u mine and take a quick look at your final script before you do the final video.

You should get input from the dev team though. They're slow about getting back on here, but will. I'm not "an official Namecoin guy", just a guy who steps up and gets stuff done. I'm not sure the dev team even really acknowledge that MeowBit exists, but it has a larger installed user base than FreeSpeechMe, and MeowBit works on the whole computer, not just one browser. On the other hand, FreeSpeechMe works on Linux, MeowBit does not.

FreeSpeechMe could also work on Mac with very little work, but hasn't been updated at all since it came out two months ago. MeowBit has been updated 5 times in the month its been out.

Thanks!
MWD

kurt

Post by kurt »

Namecoin ID

Please feel free to edit amend and comment !

Namecoin ID is a decentralized identity system (DIS) with a user directory made of entries in a decentralized key-value store (the Namecoin blockchain).

Nobody owns or controls Namecoin and users are in complete control of their data. Namecoin ID is open source, has a public design, and is for all to take part.

ID allows you to reinvent yourself company image

Claim a unique, global username

Store your profile in the blockchain

Own your online identity & data

Unify your online presence with one username and profile

Allow anyone to easily look up your PGP public key

sudoquai

Post by sudoquai »

Great swedespade,

the new corporate identity will be finished soon. You can use the material then to avoid double efforts.

It would be ansolutely important to clear in the video, that Namecoin is a data container, which can not be only used for .BIT domains (great feature). There is Bitmessage support for Namecoin Nicknames, Namecoin OpenID, a new experimental and decentralized Browser called "SyncNet" based on Namecoin Technology and as far as i know onename.io which is using Namecoin Nicknames for Bitcoin Payments to Namecoin Nicknames and more projects.

Would be great to integrate them as well.

You can take a overlook on Namecoin @ Facebook to get a Technical Overview about Namecoin and usefull informations:

https://www.facebook.com/namecoin.org

Thumbs up and thank you ! :)
Last edited by sudoquai on Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
NameID: id/sudo.wonder >>> Namecoin @ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/namecoin.org