Namecoin is Prime for a 51% attack

Davincij15

Re: Namecoin is Prime for a 51% attack

Post by Davincij15 »

nodemaster wrote: It took some time for me to decide how to handle this issue. And still I hope BitcoinEXpress won't do this attack. I came to the conclusion that my pool will be up and running namecoin as auxiliary blockchain ONLY if there is at least one other merged mining pool. I'm not willing to fight a 51% attack with another possible 51% attack. It won't make sense if I'm running the only other pool that is trying to counter the 51% by gaining more than 51%, too. Right?

What I can offer to the community is to share the knowledge about how to set up a pool like MasterPool. But given the short time you should have a reasonable amount of linux administration know how. Thus if someone needs specific information on this let me know.
Yes, I am weak with linux admin but I am willing to learn and as you can see I can figure stuff out on my own. Your help speeds up my education.

A man who died of cancer said in is final speech that walls are not there to keep you out but to show others how much you want it. I want this bad, bad, bad and I will do it with or without your help. With your help it gets done faster.

I have no questions right now as I know what I have to do. However if you have any suggestions I would appreciate them.

Davincij15

Post by Davincij15 »

nodemaster wrote:
Davincij15 wrote: However I need some help and this community and failed at it's support. If you guys (Khal, Vinced, etc) would have helped me instead of ignoring me I would have been up and running stronger and thrown some money at getting hashing power on my site.
:roll: OMG I really hate you for your attitude. But I guees this makes you the best choice to be the counterpart merged mining pool :mrgreen: Please start a thread with your problems I'll have a look at it later on.
We are different people and our differences need to be set aside for a common goal. I do not disrespect your attitude even though I do not agree with it because I know differences is not a bad thing, we all can't act the same way or we would be Borgs.

Try not to take offence to anything I say, if you dislike it or feel I am being unfair please voice your opinion. I am willing to change how I say things to avoid friction but I am not willing to change who I am.

Regards

Davinci

nodemaster

Post by nodemaster »

Davincij15 wrote: We are different people and our differences need to be set aside for a common goal. I do not disrespect your attitude even though I do not agree with it because I know differences is not a bad thing, we all can't act the same way or we would be Borgs.

Try not to take offence to anything I say, if you dislike it or feel I am being unfair please voice your opinion. I am willing to change how I say things to avoid friction but I am not willing to change who I am.
Yeah, agreed. I'm on it. So it all depends on whether or not we are able to mobilize enough people.
Access .bit domains with Firefox in 4 easy steps: https://masterpool.eu/proxy
MasterPool Namecoin Mining Pool

Davincij15

Post by Davincij15 »

nodemaster wrote:
Davincij15 wrote: We are different people and our differences need to be set aside for a common goal. I do not disrespect your attitude even though I do not agree with it because I know differences is not a bad thing, we all can't act the same way or we would be Borgs.

Yeah, agreed. I'm on it. So it all depends on whether or not we are able to mobilize enough people.

I can do it however I need to fix the pool one problem is you have half the hash rate and get WAY more blocks than I do. I am not using v 3.24.60 yet so that may be the problem.

nodemaster

Post by nodemaster »

Lets move to technical support subforum: http://dot-bit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1888#p1888
Access .bit domains with Firefox in 4 easy steps: https://masterpool.eu/proxy
MasterPool Namecoin Mining Pool

twobits

Post by twobits »

Davincij15 wrote:
nodemaster wrote:

I can do it however I need to fix the pool one problem is you have half the hash rate and get WAY more blocks than I do. I am not using v 3.24.60 yet so that may be the problem.
You don't need to have merged mining in place to break the attack, just enough hashing power on the network. However if we cross block # 19200 and some large pools have not upgraded that will cause its own havoc. BTW, current version is now 3.24.61

thirdlight

Post by thirdlight »

Ok, I don't know much, but...

We don't have to fight this. All we have to do is wait it out.

BitcoinExpress will fork the chain & aim to get a load of blocks in front of the existing chain, then release his chain on the network. Clients will take his chain (it's the biggest), and carry on as normal.

The only issue is the blocks that get orphaned - as we saw with i-something-coin (can't remember if it was x or 0). So, don't believe any transactions you receive in the meantime.

The worse that can happen is that the block count gets closer to 19200.

The only part of this that causes problems is the waiting. If I don't see evidence of the attack in the next couple of days, we'll know it's fud, & we can all go back to our lives.

If someone had offered to double the network speed a few days ago, they would have been welcomed with open arms. That's what BitcoinExpress is doing, and giving all existing namecoin miners a day off too. Thanks.

DoubleC is right to suspend trading - everyone take a couple of days off & see which block we're at on Thursday.

I know I haven't covered the .bit names side of things, I don't know enough to comment.

I'm ready for the flames....

BitcoinEXpress

Post by BitcoinEXpress »

thirdlight wrote:Ok, I don't know much, but...

We don't have to fight this. All we have to do is wait it out.

BitcoinExpress will fork the chain & aim to get a load of blocks in front of the existing chain, then release his chain on the network. Clients will take his chain (it's the biggest), and carry on as normal.

The only issue is the blocks that get orphaned - as we saw with i-something-coin (can't remember if it was x or 0). So, don't believe any transactions you receive in the meantime.

The worse that can happen is that the block count gets closer to 19200.

The only part of this that causes problems is the waiting. If I don't see evidence of the attack in the next couple of days, we'll know it's fud, & we can all go back to our lives.

If someone had offered to double the network speed a few days ago, they would have been welcomed with open arms. That's what BitcoinExpress is doing, and giving all existing namecoin miners a day off too. Thanks.

DoubleC is right to suspend trading - everyone take a couple of days off & see which block we're at on Thursday.

I know I haven't covered the .bit names side of things, I don't know enough to comment.

I'm ready for the flames....

Two days ago a new alt currency came online called Geist Geld. ArtForz posted an exploit that revolutionized exploits!

The creator of Geist Geld can verify that we generated 20,000 blocks in less than 73 minutes, CONFIRMED them and without a single orphan! We were also able to STOP the chain, go to a previous point, quickly generate 5000 blocks and continue on effectively spliting the block chain and invalidating everything from the entry point forward, in real time!

The Plan
reposted from Bitcointalk

A 51% attack is very elementary to what we plan to do. A team of our coders is convinced we can stop the block chain period and control it's direction forward or backwards via a reset. We've actually done it on a small test net.

Block Chain exploits have evolved quantum fold in the past 72 hours largely due to ArtForz Geist Geld exploit he posted, we took it to a new level as evidenced by the 20,000 blocks generated in 73 minutes which is theoretically impossible, but we did it.

Here's the agenda.

You have until block 19100 to withdraw, trade or do whatever you like. We will not launch until then.

At 19101 we are going to stop the block chain and do a reset to block 10,000. Using ArtForz modified exploit we are going to generate 5000 blocks in a matter of minutes, confirm them and commence experimenting. We will effectively split the NMC block chain and invalidate the old one past block 10000.

If you want to stop us all you have to do is increase the NMC Network Hash Rate to more than 500 GH /s before 19100. Bitcoin is 100% protected due to it's massive hash rate.

We notified the exchanges to prevent monetary loses by these guys. The purpose of this is knowledge and not to steal.

Goals
1) Developing protection for Bitcoin against exploits
2) Developing a lethal alt chain killer.
3) Making developers aware that when the "bad guys" make you aware of an exploit, FIX IT!

We will highly document this and make it public.

This will be my last post until after the attack begins.

thirdlight

Post by thirdlight »

So, 160 blocks to go. That's about 3 weeks.

Would you wait that long?

Seraphim401

Post by Seraphim401 »

What gives you the right to this to namecoin?