IPv6 DNS support for .bit?

dingo

IPv6 DNS support for .bit?

Post by dingo »

Is it possible to register a domain with an IPv6 address with the current JSON format? I have seen the new proposed format supports IPv6, but found nothing on the current format.

The reason behind this is that after successfully registering my first two .bit domains (thanks to the good documentation on dot-bit.org), I found out both my hosters (shared hosting) do not support external names at all resp. at acceptable conditions. But I have set up a super low power mini server at home which has got a stable IPv6 address through sixxs.net, solving the problem of daily changed IPv4 addresses for a DSL connection.

Also, I have seen that at least one of my providers has set a unique IPv6 address for my shared hosting packages, while the IPv4 address is shared with other customers. Entering the IPv6 directly into the browser enclosed in [ ], my homepage shows up, while entering the IPv4 address directly, only a default page appears.

I think it thus would make it easier for many people to set up a .bit website if IPv6 is used, although of course the number of people having access to it is reduced again.

khal
Site Admin

Re: IPv6 DNS support for .bit?

Post by khal »

The new proposed format is already supported (not fully, but ipv6 is done) by most existing .bit DNS servers using the spec v2.

So, test it and give us feedback :)
NamecoinID: id/khal
GPG : 9CC5B92E965D69A9
NMC: N1KHAL5C1CRzy58NdJwp1tbLze3XrkFxx9
BTC: 1KHAL8bUjnkMRMg9yd2dNrYnJgZGH8Nj6T

Register Namecoin domains with BTC
My bitcoin Identity - Send messages to bitcoin users
Charity Ad - Make a good deed without paying a cent

dingo

Post by dingo »

Thank you, yes, the basic mapping of a .bit domain to an IPv6 address using the {"ip6":"xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:::"} format worked, at least after I added the Swedish DNS server 2a00:801:9::1337:1 to my IPv6 DNS list. According to the .bit DNS list, the only working one.

I will try to work with that some more, like trying to add www. subdomains or removing the originally entered IPv4 address.

dingo

Post by dingo »

To add to the above, the IPv4 seems to be deleted automatically by only setting the IPv6 address, which is good.

I was also able to add the subdomain www by using the json format string
{"map": {"": {"ip6": "xxxx:xxxx:......"}, "www": {"ip6":"xxxx:xxxx:......"}}}
for namecoind name_update d/mydomain <json> (after conversion through http://dot-bit.org/tools/domainCheck.php)

I will place a short summary of the steps to set up a home-based web server using IPv6 and .bit on http://www.sixbit.bit (reachable via IPv6 only.... if you do not have it yet, check https://www.sixxs.net/ )