FreeSpeechMe firefox pluging issue

nade70

FreeSpeechMe firefox pluging issue

Post by nade70 »

I installed the plugin yesterday and made sure that the namecoin wallet is closed, the namecoin wallet services weren't running.
After restarting firefox and going to the options I click OK after ticking the boxes as per the instructions but nothing happened, as in it wouldn't close. Doesn't matter how many times I click ok it wont close. On the status tab it just sits as loading. I left it that way overnight. Same thing this morning.

I am using windows 8.1.

What rookie mistake am I making?

biolizard89

Re: FreeSpeechMe firefox pluging issue

Post by biolizard89 »

nade70 wrote:I installed the plugin yesterday and made sure that the namecoin wallet is closed, the namecoin wallet services weren't running.
After restarting firefox and going to the options I click OK after ticking the boxes as per the instructions but nothing happened, as in it wouldn't close. Doesn't matter how many times I click ok it wont close. On the status tab it just sits as loading. I left it that way overnight. Same thing this morning.

I am using windows 8.1.

What rookie mistake am I making?
Hi,

Two questions. What version of Firefox are you on? When you click on the Notaries tab in the Options dialog, are any notaries listed in the box or is it blank?

Hopefully that info will help me track down the problem.

Cheers,
-Jeremy
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

nade70

Post by nade70 »

Im using Firefox 33.1.1 and the notaries tab is blank.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

nade70 wrote:Im using Firefox 33.1.1 and the notaries tab is blank.
Hi,

Thanks for that info, I'll try to reproduce this bug myself and let you know if I can figure out what's wrong. I haven't noticed any issues with Firefox 33.1 on Fedora, so maybe this is a Windows-specific issue. Thanks again for the report.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

biolizard89 wrote:
nade70 wrote:Im using Firefox 33.1.1 and the notaries tab is blank.
Hi,

Thanks for that info, I'll try to reproduce this bug myself and let you know if I can figure out what's wrong. I haven't noticed any issues with Firefox 33.1 on Fedora, so maybe this is a Windows-specific issue. Thanks again for the report.
I can confirm that this bug is present in the upstream codebase Convergence-Extra. So, I'll contact Mike Kazantsev, who maintains that codebase, and see if he can help get it fixed. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Compatibility notes on this bug:

Bug does not exist on Firefox 31.0 on Win8.
Bug does not exist on Firefox 32.0 on Win8, but after upgrading from 31 to 32, I had to reinstall Convergence-Extra.
Bug exists in Firefox 33.0 on Win8.
Bug exists in Firefox 33.1.1 on Win8.
Bug does not exist in Firefox 33.1 on Fedora.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

Okay, so it looks like Mozilla removed an API call from Firefox 33+ in Windows. I'm currently checking whether that API call is critical. I can currently only find one place where it's called, and that appears to be an optional feature which isn't related to the Namecoin features.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

biolizard89 wrote:Okay, so it looks like Mozilla removed an API call from Firefox 33+ in Windows. I'm currently checking whether that API call is critical. I can currently only find one place where it's called, and that appears to be an optional feature which isn't related to the Namecoin features.
So, the good news is that it looks like there's a way to fix this bug without losing that optional feature. Further good news is that the solution also insulates us from some other weird things in the Windows version of Firefox which have caused trouble before. The bad news is that the solution requires modifying the build scripts to bundle a dll file from Mozilla, and I'm not sure I want to be doing that until some other things in the build scripts are resolved. So, it might be a little while before I can get a fix released. On the other hand, this is a good excuse to revamp the build scripts, which have been in serious need of some love lately.

If you really need FSM to work before then, it looks like the latest ESR release of Firefox is unaffected by this issue.

I'll keep you posted on this.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

Update: Mozilla has also removed that API call in the XULRunner dll's, so fixing this will be less easy. We *will* have a fix out, but it might take some time. In the meantime, I recommend 1 of the following:

1. Use an ESR release of Firefox; those appear to be unaffected.
2. Use NMControl's DNS server; it's not affected by this issue. Be aware that you will not be protected from MITM attacks with NMControl by default, so be very careful.
3. Wait for us to get a new release out using a newer codebase. This will take some time, but is the best option if your need isn't urgent.

Cheers,
-Jeremy