URI Schemes

phelix

URI Schemes

Post by phelix »

biolizard89 wrote:
phelix wrote:
I suggest to use "namecoin:" for payments just like "bitcoin:" maybe with the addition that a name can be used instead of an address. This would be on the client side. And "nmc:" registered to NMControl for information display.
I would be concerned that using namecoin: and nmc: for different things would confuse users, which isn't a good thing when dealing with money. (Might be good to spin off a dedicated thread for that.)
nct: or nctrl: then?
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

biolizard89

Re: URI Schemes

Post by biolizard89 »

I would lean toward a single URI scheme for names, "nmc:", with a syntax for payments (both Bitcoin and Namecoin) as well as a syntax for other operations.

Examples:

nmc:id/jeremy --> show data for the name id/jeremy
nmc:id/jeremy/bitcoin --> send BTC to id/jeremy
nmc:id/jeremy/namecoin --> send NMC to id/jeremy
nmc:id/jeremy/xmpp --> send an XMPP IM to id/jeremy

The currency-specific URI scheme "namecoin:" would only accept addresses rather than names.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

domob

Post by domob »

biolizard89 wrote:I would lean toward a single URI scheme for names, "nmc:", with a syntax for payments (both Bitcoin and Namecoin) as well as a syntax for other operations.

Examples:

The currency-specific URI scheme "namecoin:" would only accept addresses rather than names.
I like these ideas.
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

tosh0

Post by tosh0 »

are we talking about RPC commands to namecontrol or url's that we can type on the browser and open namecontrol?

(ok, i see nmc: is enough for a browser to read it as another handle, so go ahead.)

i don't see problem with nmc for namecontrol and namecoin for the qt, just make any nmc:N12345 return namecoin:N12345 and open the qt, and any namecoin:name return nmc:name and open nmcontrol...
NMC: more stable than BTC!

phelix

Post by phelix »

biolizard89 wrote:I would lean toward a single URI scheme for names, "nmc:", with a syntax for payments (both Bitcoin and Namecoin) as well as a syntax for other operations.

Examples:

domob wrote: I like these ideas.
Me, too.

Why not names, too? Sendtoname is readily available?

nmc: goes to nmcontrol and namecoin: goes to the client? If you suggest anything else please elaborate.

virtual_master

Post by virtual_master »

domob wrote:

Examples:

I like these ideas.
+1

It looks like a good standardization proposal. Would be great for the Namecoin image to quickly recognize and use different Namecoin applications.
http://namecoinia.org/
Calendars for free to print: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF Protect the Environment with Namecoin: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF
BTC: 15KXVQv7UGtUoTe5VNWXT1bMz46MXuePba | NMC: NABFA31b3x7CvhKMxcipUqA3TnKsNfCC7S

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

phelix wrote:

Examples:

domob wrote: I like these ideas.
Me, too.

Why not names, too? Sendtoname is readily available?

nmc: goes to nmcontrol and namecoin: goes to the client? If you suggest anything else please elaborate.
My rationale for not having namecoin: use names is twofold: (1) an end user may be confused when nmc:id/jeremy and namecoin:id/jeremy do completely different things; when one of those two things is sending money, that's a significant issue. (2) Using nmc:id/jeremy/namecoin is consistent with nmc:id/jeremy/bitcoin; this makes things a little bit more user-friendly, and also a little bit easier to write scripts that handle multiple currencies.

Yes, nmc: would go to NMControl. NMControl would redirect nmc:id/jeremy/namecoin to the corresponding namecoin: URL for the actual address (which would be accepted by Namecoin-Qt), the same way it would redirect nmc:id/jeremy/bitcoin.

Basically, it's about consistency, and trying not to surprise the user.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

phelix

Post by phelix »

I am looking into this again.

How should a request look like to be redispatched to the system with data filled in?

I currently have this in mind:
nmc:id/winston/bitcoin:bitcoin --> dispatch to system as bitcoin:123asdf
nmc:id/winston/bitcoin: --> shorthand for the above
nmc:id/winston/email:mailto --> mailto:winston@smith.org