Merged mining + timetravel fix @19200 - must upgrade

doublec

Re: Merged mining block number

Post by doublec »

Has this been merged into master already? Is it checking for block 24,000? People have been complaining about git master rejecting blocks.

JohnDoe

Post by JohnDoe »

doublec wrote:Has this been merged into master already? Is it checking for block 24,000? People have been complaining about git master rejecting blocks.
Latest commit says that mergedmine was merged into namecoin-mergedmine but I can see the code in master as well. Maybe a mistake?

jtimon

Post by jtimon »

This is great!
Thank you vinced for doing it and JohnDoe for letting me know.
I've been told that block 24K corresponds approximately to the end of year. Is that true?
I wish it could be sooner.

JohnDoe

Post by JohnDoe »

jtimon wrote:I've been told that block 24K corresponds approximately to the end of year. Is that true?
Depends completely on the mining power of the network. Could be at the end of the year or in two weeks.

jtimon

Post by jtimon »

JohnDoe wrote:
jtimon wrote:I've been told that block 24K corresponds approximately to the end of year. Is that true?
Depends completely on the mining power of the network. Could be at the end of the year or in two weeks.
But difficulty adjust itself each week like in bitcoin to target 10 minutes, right?

JohnDoe

Post by JohnDoe »

jtimon wrote:But difficulty adjust itself each week like in bitcoin to target 10 minutes, right?
Retargets are every 2016 blocks actually, but yeah. Difficulty can't increase by more than 4x at a time though, so if suddenly the hash rate jumped to 20 terahash/s it would take a few retargets before the difficulty corrected itself to the appropriate level. The opposite can happen too, if after this next retarget everyone leaves and I'm left by myself mining with my lowly CPU then it could take years or decades to reach block 24000.

doublec

Post by doublec »

JohnDoe wrote: Latest commit says that mergedmine was merged into namecoin-mergedmine but I can see the code in master as well. Maybe a mistake?
Yes, it does appear so. Git master is broken for use - unless you have >50% of the network and want to fork. I suggest using tag v0.3.21.91 if anyone actually wants a working client.

JohnDoe

Post by JohnDoe »

The new link on the main page to the v0.3.21.91 tree won't do because github still shows the https://github.com/vinced/namecoin.git address so people will just clone that. I was thinking about adding khal's tree too but I wanted opinions before I did anything. Not so sure if it's a good idea to have two sources "competing".

edit: Actually I just went ahead and did it. Erase if it's a bad idea.

moa

Post by moa »

JohnDoe wrote:The new link on the main page to the v0.3.21.91 tree won't do because github still shows the https://github.com/vinced/namecoin.git address so people will just clone that. I was thinking about adding khal's tree too but I wanted opinions before I did anything. Not so sure if it's a good idea to have two sources "competing".
How about you post some rational before you just edit the wiki willy nilly? It is turning into a dog's breakfast ... it's all yours if you want to go around undoing stuff behind me, I could care less.

Are you presently building namecoind regularly?

Edit: oops, that shouldn't have happened quite like that. Repaired now, I think.
Last edited by moa on Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

JohnDoe

Post by JohnDoe »

moa wrote:How about you post some rational before you just edit the wiki willy nilly? It is turning into a dog's breakfast ... it's all yours if you want to go around undoing stuff behind me, I could care less.

Are you presently building namecoind regularly?
Oh? I have to ask permission to edit but you don't? I'm certainly not a github expert but it looks to me that the link you gave to the v0.3.21.91 tree was worthless anyway because there was no .git file to clone it. The only way to get that tree is going to Downloads -> View 15 other download -> click on v0.3.21.91 zip or tar.gz.

And why the hell did you remove vinced's tree? It's still the consensus official one so there should be a link to it even if it's currently broken.