Downgrade to unsecure version or figure out the CLI?

somename

Downgrade to unsecure version or figure out the CLI?

Post by somename »

I am trying to use Namecoin but since I've upgraded to the latest version, I can't use the pane for easy control operations.

That leaves me with 2 possibilities; the CLI or NameGUI.

NameGUI: my config file is not in the default location and I haven't been able to figure out where in the code I can hardcode the location of my nameecoin.conf (incidentally https://github.com/phelix/nameGUI hasn't enabled Issue submission so I won't submit one).

The CLI seems complex (at least in my case, because I have a bunch of stuff in the wallet).
I can listaddressbygroupings which gives me a ton of addresses.
But I can't tell which one contains data I need, so I am not sure what's the next step.
I suppose I could go to a Namecoin explorer, find my id and then see which addresses from my wallet has it.
Then I could signmessage using something like:
namecoin-cli signmessage "N2xHFZ8NWNkGuuXfDxv8iMXdQGMd3tjZfx" "my message"

But is there a way to find my IDs by dumping properties of all my addresses to a plain text file? Or if I don't exactly remember my ID, how would I go about finding it?

What I am trying to do: I want to get one of id's that I registered (any) in order to try to use it for an authentication test.

=====

Edit: I realized I installed the latest version in a different directory and the previous (insecure) version of Namecoin-Qt is still there.
So I made a copy of my startup script which starts the old version (which I don't intend to use for making transactions, but it's handy for filtering through wallet contents. I use the old version to look up the address and private key, shut it down, and then start the latest version and use the CLI to signmessage.
Of course this isn't a good way to go about it.

domob

Re: Downgrade to unsecure version or figure out the CLI?

Post by domob »

I can not help you about NameGUI, but the CLI is probably not too hard to use for your situation. If you know already which name you are interested in, you can use "namecoin-cli name_show id/myname" to get all kind of information; including, in particular, the address that is needed for signmessage. If you do not know which names are yours, you can call "namecoin-cli name_list" to get all of the names that are (and were in the past) in your wallet.

That said, if your focus is testing, you can continue using the old client in my opinion. However, learning the basic RPC commands may be worthwhile by itself. ;)
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

phelix

Post by phelix »

somename wrote:I am trying to use Namecoin but since I've upgraded to the latest version, I can't use the pane for easy control operations.

That leaves me with 2 possibilities; the CLI or NameGUI.

NameGUI: my config file is not in the default location and I haven't been able to figure out where in the code I can hardcode the location of my nameecoin.conf (incidentally https://github.com/phelix/nameGUI hasn't enabled Issue submission so I won't submit one).

The CLI seems complex (at least in my case, because I have a bunch of stuff in the wallet).
I can listaddressbygroupings which gives me a ton of addresses.
But I can't tell which one contains data I need, so I am not sure what's the next step.
I suppose I could go to a Namecoin explorer, find my id and then see which addresses from my wallet has it.
Then I could signmessage using something like:
namecoin-cli signmessage "N2xHFZ8NWNkGuuXfDxv8iMXdQGMd3tjZfx" "my message"

But is there a way to find my IDs by dumping properties of all my addresses to a plain text file? Or if I don't exactly remember my ID, how would I go about finding it?

What I am trying to do: I want to get one of id's that I registered (any) in order to try to use it for an authentication test.

=====

Edit: I realized I installed the latest version in a different directory and the previous (insecure) version of Namecoin-Qt is still there.
So I made a copy of my startup script which starts the old version (which I don't intend to use for making transactions, but it's handy for filtering through wallet contents. I use the old version to look up the address and private key, shut it down, and then start the latest version and use the CLI to signmessage.
Of course this isn't a good way to go about it.
I enabled issues in phelix/nameGUI and added this issue.

The conf folder nameGUI uses is buried deeply in lib/namerpc.py (line 230 for Windows). I will add a command line option / conf file with the soon to come binary version. Also it would be nice to try to read the location from the registry.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

somename

Post by somename »

> The conf folder nameGUI uses is buried deeply in lib/namerpc.py (line 230 for Windows). I will add a command line option / conf file with the soon to come binary version. Also it would be nice to try to read the location from the registry.

I don't think I have anything in the registry (but I don't use it anyway, I have my own .bat script that starts Namecoin Core).
The reason I don't use Windows registry is that if the config file location is in there (which I doubt), it's the default location (%APPDATA%...) and there's no way to tell the program that you want to use a non-default location (at least that's how it is with Bitcoin Core).

CONF= in nameGUI's settings area would be another familiar way to do it. (I did try to pass -conf <location> to the GUI, just in case it was possible but undocumented :-)).

phelix

Post by phelix »

Here you go: https://forum.namecoin.info/viewtopic.p ... 920#p14920 Let me know if it works.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

cassini

Post by cassini »

somename wrote:I suppose I could go to a Namecoin explorer, find my id and then see which addresses from my wallet has it.
If I understand you right you could simply use the name_list RPC:

Code: Select all

namecoin-cli name_list

somename

Post by somename »

phelix wrote:Here you go: https://forum.namecoin.info/viewtopic.p ... 920#p14920 Let me know if it works.
Thanks, I submitted a bug report and suggestion for enhancement.

Also thanks other for helpful hints.