What details needed in.conf file?

namesis

What details needed in.conf file?

Post by namesis »

Greetings fellow members
I need some help with namecoind. I am trying to run the rescan command from namecoind but it only gives me run errors. I need to rescan the blockchain as it is not picking up my name transfer transaction. I read somewhere in the forum that you need to have the .conf configuration settings setup right in the namecoin folder.
Can anyone please tell me what settings need to be written in the .conf file in order for me to run namecoind commands to rescan the blockchain for my wallet transactions.
I ran the namecoind from the installed folder

Thank you all for the help

cassini

Re: What details needed in.conf file?

Post by cassini »

For a standard configuration setup the namecoin.conf file can be left empty. The .conf file is only necessary if you want to start namecoind with different parameters, e.g. a different directory path for the data files, or a port number different to the standard port 8334, or you want to make use of the Command Line Interface (namecoin-cli) or RPC calls, a.s.o.
Even in these cases you can include all the parameters in the start command line instead of writing them in the .conf file. I occationally run three different namecoin clients simultaneously on the same machine, and all my .conf files are empty. I include all the necessary parameters in the start commands which look like this one, for example:

Code: Select all

./namecoind -datadir=~/my-client-number-two/. -conf=./empty.conf -printtoconsole -listen -server
-dbcache=300 -port=8350 -rpcuser=MYFANCYRPCUSERNAME -rpcpassword=MYFANCYRPCPASSWORD
-connect=127.0.0.1:8360 -debug
(for Windows 7/8/10 the datadir param would look slightly different)
Most of the available parameters are explained at https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Running_Bitcoin
or simply run ./namecoind -help

namesis wrote:as it is not picking up my name transfer transaction.
What do you mean with "not picking up"? Is it an old transaction that is already in the blockchain, or are you looking for an unconfirmed transaction you recently issued?
namesis wrote:it only gives me run errors
If you need more help on this please state OS, namecoind version number, and the exact error message text.

biolizard89

Re: What details needed in.conf file?

Post by biolizard89 »

cassini wrote:For a standard configuration setup the namecoin.conf file can be left empty. The .conf file is only necessary if you want to start namecoind with different parameters, e.g. a different directory path for the data files, or a port number different to the standard port 8334, or you want to make use of the Command Line Interface (namecoin-cli) or RPC calls
Recent versions of Bitcoin Core (and Namecoin Core) use cookie authentication by default, so namecoin-cli works out of the box when namecoind is run. You can still enable user/pass authentication if desired, but I'm unaware of much reason to do so. (Other than the fact that ncdns doesn't support cookie authentication yet.)
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5