Next step - registering a domain

philip_rhoades

Re: Next step - registering a domain

Post by philip_rhoades »

See https://forum.namecoin.info/viewtopic.p ... 523#p14523 ; it's broken on OBS's end, but there is a workaround at that link.
OK, that works but it just installs a system version of namecoind - I thought "namecoind-Qt" was supposed to install a wallet which made registering .bit names easier?
Okay, so getinfo works when you include the command line options for the port and login. You can substitute other commands for "getinfo", e.g.:

Code: Select all

/home/phil/.mozilla/firefox/xxxxxxxxxx/extensions/convergence@dot-bit.org/daemons/namecoind/linux/x64/namecoind -rpcuser=convergence -rpcpassword=convergence -rpcport=18835 name_show d/philiprhoades

Both that command as well as using the new namecoind:

namecoind -rpcuser=convergence -rpcpassword=convergence -rpcport=18835 name_show d/philiprhoades

give the same result:

error: {"code":-4,"message":"failed to read from name DB"}

(getinfo still works and tailing debug.log show "heights" still accumulating).

Thanks,

Phil.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

philip_rhoades wrote:
See https://forum.namecoin.info/viewtopic.p ... 523#p14523 ; it's broken on OBS's end, but there is a workaround at that link.
OK, that works but it just installs a system version of namecoind - I thought "namecoind-Qt" was supposed to install a wallet which made registering .bit names easier?
There should be two packages available from those repos, "namecoin" and "namecoin-gui" (or something to that effect). "namecoin" will install a binary called "namecoind" which is the daemon, while "namecoin-gui" will install a binary called "namecoin" which is the GUI. Kind of confusing. We will probably overhaul this soon with the switch to the Namecoin Core codebase.
philip_rhoades wrote:
Okay, so getinfo works when you include the command line options for the port and login. You can substitute other commands for "getinfo", e.g.:

/home/phil/.mozilla/firefox/xxxxxxxxxx/extensions/convergence@dot-bit.org/daemons/namecoind/linux/x64/namecoind -rpcuser=convergence -rpcpassword=convergence -rpcport=18835 name_show d/philiprhoades

namecoind -rpcuser=convergence -rpcpassword=convergence -rpcport=18835 name_show d/philiprhoades

give the same result:

Thanks,

Phil.
That error means that the name you tried to show doesn't exist, which is expected.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

philip_rhoades

Post by philip_rhoades »

biolizard89 wrote:
philip_rhoades wrote:
There should be two packages available from those repos, "namecoin" and "namecoin-gui" (or something to that effect). "namecoin" will install a binary called "namecoind" which is the daemon, while "namecoin-gui" will install a binary called "namecoin" which is the GUI. Kind of confusing. We will probably overhaul this soon with the switch to the Namecoin Core codebase.
No - maybe there was at the broken link but at the redirected link there is just a "namecoin" (ie NOT namecoind) RPM which explicitly says it ONLY contains the daemon . .

philip_rhoades wrote:

give the same result:

Thanks,

Phil.
That error means that the name you tried to show doesn't exist, which is expected.
OK - which means that the name is available - good.

I know it is early days but:

- this exercise has been much more difficult that it should have been and I am still not much closer to being able to register philiprhoades.bit

- broken links need fixing and instructions need improving so that multiple questions on the forum are not necessary

Also, when I went looking at the existing .bit sites - most of them are just clones of a basic site with nothing of interest in them yet. It is probably a bad image for the project to be creating lots of sites that are just place holders - it looks like nothing is really going on - it would be better to have fewer sites that actually have something of interest in them I think.

Regards,

Phil.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

No argument from me there. Things need to be documented much better, for sure.

I'll check on the Linux packages... I'm not sure why the GUI isn't showing up for you.

EDIT: Ah, I see. That exact link goes directly to the namecoin package rather than Peter's repo generally. I think you can get the GUI from here: https://software.opensuse.org/download. ... mecoin-gui . Does that work for you?

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

philip_rhoades

Post by philip_rhoades »

biolizard89 wrote:No argument from me there. Things need to be documented much better, for sure.

I'll check on the Linux packages... I'm not sure why the GUI isn't showing up for you.

EDIT: Ah, I see. That exact link goes directly to the namecoin package rather than Peter's repo generally. I think you can get the GUI from here:

https://software.opensuse.org/download. ... mecoin-gui . Does that work for you?
Thanks for that. Installing and running that I find the logo flashes briefly and then I get:

namecoin
libpng warning: iCCP: Not recognizing known sRGB profile that has been edited

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

philip_rhoades wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:No argument from me there. Things need to be documented much better, for sure.

EDIT: Ah, I see. That exact link goes directly to the namecoin package rather than Peter's repo generally. I think you can get the GUI from here:

https://software.opensuse.org/download. ... mecoin-gui . Does that work for you?
Thanks for that. Installing and running that I find the logo flashes briefly and then I get:

namecoin
Hmm. After you run namecoin, is there anything interesting in ~/.namecoin/debug.log? Any chance you could try renaming your ~/.namecoin/ folder to see if maybe it's a corrupt profile?

philip_rhoades

Post by philip_rhoades »

biolizard89 wrote:
philip_rhoades wrote:

namecoin
Hmm. After you run namecoin, is there anything interesting in ~/.namecoin/debug.log? Any chance you could try renaming your ~/.namecoin/ folder to see if maybe it's a corrupt profile?
Whenever I run "namecoin" I see in the log:

namecoin version 0.3.80
Default data directory /home/phil/.namecoin
Unable to bind to port 8334 on this computer. Namecoin is probably already running.
Freeing 0 entries in CMapBlockIndex...
Freeing 0 nodes in CNodeList 0xad7ca0...

Doing:

netstat -n -p -l | grep ':8834'

show nothing. Doing:

ps ax | grep namecoin

shows:

14251 ? SLl 0:45 /home/phil/.mozilla/firefox/xxxxx/extensions/convergence@dot-bit.org/daemons/namecoind/linux/x64/namecoind -datadir=/home/phil/.convergence-namecoin/ -server -rpcuser=convergence -rpcpassword=convergence -rpcport=18835
14253 ? S 0:00 /bin/bash /home/phil/.mozilla/firefox/xxxxx/extensions/convergence@dot-bit.org/daemons/nmcontrol/python/cd_launcher.sh /home/phil/.mozilla/firefox/5fpf0zud.default/extensions/convergence@dot-bit.org/daemons/nmcontrol/python ./nmcontrol.py --daemon=0 --data.update.namecoin=/home/phil/.mozilla/firefox/5fpf0zud.default/extensions/convergence@dot-bit.org/daemons/nmcontrol/namecoin.conf --rpc.port=18836
14256 ? Sl 0:00 /usr/bin/python ./nmcontrol.py --daemon=0 --data.update.namecoin=/home/phil/.mozilla/firefox/xxxxx/extensions/convergence@dot-bit.org/daemons/nmcontrol/namecoin.conf --rpc.port=18836

I tried opening port 8834 in iptables but it didn't make any difference.

I would prefer not to rename the .namecoin folder as this will start to recreate the blockchain from scratch and that took days before . .

Thanks,

Phil.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

Port 8334 is the Namecoin peer port. I'm guessing that the namecoind packaged in FreeSpeechMe grabbed that port. The current GitHub code fixes that. I believe you can work around it by placing the following line in ~/.namecoin/namecoin.conf

port=xxx

Where xxx is a port that isn't in use. Incoming connections don't have to be allowed by your firewall, although doing so will help the network.

Let us know if that helps you load the GUI.

Cheers.

philip_rhoades

Post by philip_rhoades »

biolizard89 wrote:Port 8334 is the Namecoin peer port. I'm guessing that the namecoind packaged in FreeSpeechMe grabbed that port. The current GitHub code fixes that. I believe you can work around it by placing the following line in ~/.namecoin/namecoin.conf

port=xxx

Where xxx is a port that isn't in use. Incoming connections don't have to be allowed by your firewall, although doing so will help the network.

Cheers.
OK, I used 8335 for convenience . . now I get:

EXCEPTION: 22DbRunRecoveryException       
DbEnv::open: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery       
namecoin in Runaway exception       

QMetaObject::invokeMethod: No such method QObject::message(QString,QString,unsigned int,bool*)

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

philip_rhoades wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:Port 8334 is the Namecoin peer port. I'm guessing that the namecoind packaged in FreeSpeechMe grabbed that port. The current GitHub code fixes that. I believe you can work around it by placing the following line in ~/.namecoin/namecoin.conf

port=xxx

Cheers.
OK, I used 8335 for convenience . . now I get:

EXCEPTION: 22DbRunRecoveryException       
DbEnv::open: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery       
namecoin in Runaway exception       

QMetaObject::invokeMethod: No such method QObject::message(QString,QString,unsigned int,bool*)
I think this usually is indicative of a mismatched BerkeleyDB version, probably because the FreeSpeechMe distributed namecoind binary was using a different version than the official packages. There are probably ways to recover this, but they're complicated. The easiest workaround is probably to rename your ~/.namecoin/ folder and let it regenerate a profile.