Gargoyle firmware now resolves .bit domains by default

Forum rules
Warning !
Avoid using binary softwares from untrusted users.
Prefer compiling it yourself and verify sources.
ericpaulbishop

Gargoyle firmware now resolves .bit domains by default

Post by ericpaulbishop »

Hi, I'm the author of Gargoyle router firmware, which is an open-source alternative firmware for wireless routers similar to DD-WRT. I just wanted to let you know that the latest experimental version of Gargoyle, v1.5.2, ships with a dnsmasq configuration that allows resolution of NameCoin(.bit) domains by default. All hosts behind a router running Gargoyle v1.5.2+ will be able to resolve .bit domains without any further configuration.

GDR!

Re: Gargoyle firmware now resolves .bit domains by default

Post by GDR! »

This is really awesome news. Does it run namecoind on the rotuer? What about memory usage?

ericpaulbishop

Re: Gargoyle firmware now resolves .bit domains by default

Post by ericpaulbishop »

No, it's not running namecoind on the router -- unfortunately both flash (disk) space and memory usage make this prohibitive.

Right now it just hard-codes the existing DNS server IPs into the dnsmasq configuration. However, if anyone has an idea how to do this in a more robust way within the constraints of typical consumer routers (which are typically very limited) I would be very interested in that. It's possible to extend flash space/ memory using an external USB drive, but only some routers support this, and I'd rather not make that a requirement to resolve .bit domains, because the amount of work/technical know-how to set it up is prohibitive for most people.