GUI miner trouble

Kroutonz

GUI miner trouble

Post by Kroutonz »

Hello, I recently started attempting to mine namecoins. I think I figured out the namecoin wallet ok, but am now having troubles mining.
I would like to use GUI miner because well it has a GUI, so what all is needed to get it working? i edit the server list and add the bitparking pool in there, but get an error when I try to run it.
If I can't get it to work on GUI miner i'd be happy with a simple explanation for any other bitcoin client. I tried bitcoin-miner also and got a m/hash of 0. Any help is appreciated.

Kroutonz

Re: GUI miner trouble

Post by Kroutonz »

also im on win7 64 bit if that helps.

ERROR:root:Exception:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "guiminer.py", line 1911, in run
File "guiminer.py", line 1374, in __init__
File "json\__init__.pyo", line 267, in load
File "json\__init__.pyo", line 307, in loads
File "json\decoder.pyo", line 319, in decode
File "json\decoder.pyo", line 336, in raw_decode
File "json\scanner.pyo", line 55, in iterscan
File "json\decoder.pyo", line 183, in JSONObject
File "json\decoder.pyo", line 217, in JSONArray
File "json\decoder.pyo", line 198, in JSONObject
ValueError: Expecting property name: line 8 column 3 (char 138) error in guiminer.exe error log.

Kroutonz

Post by Kroutonz »

Or any other mining program for that matter. It's kind of stupid how theres no guides out there to get a miner running namecoin. I'd definitely donate some bitcoins to whoever can help me get this
working.

Chucksta

Post by Chucksta »

There are guides on the Bitcoin site. The mining software used for BTC (bitcoins) is the same for NMC (namecoins):
http://forum.bitcoin.org

Phoenix is the miner I am using:

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=6458.0

Download from there, and there's also info on how to use it :)

Don't worry about sending any BTC.... the more doing this the better :)

example of use with the pool:

Code: Select all

phoenix.exe -u http://N45u6NAUNSyfmvds6h8nndeSxinvHvLhmr:password@bitparking.com:9098/ -k poclbm BFI_INT AGGRESSION=13 WORKSIZE=128 DEVICE=0 FASTLOOP=false
N45u6NAUNSyfmvds6h8nndeSxinvHvLhmr = use your namecoin address .... have you generated a namecoin address for yourself ?

To generate your own address, enter the following from the command prompt within the namecoind folder: namecoind getgenerate

Have you installed namecoind ?
http://dot-bit.org/Main_Page

password: this is meaningless... put anything you like there... it's the namecoin address that is important

Sorry for the mish mash of instructions... it's late, and my head says it's time for sleep.

If your objective is to make money, I highly recommend buying and selling BTC. Good money to be made from that. Check out MT Gox https://mtgox.com/... check the graphs, and follow the prices.

Namecoin prices have gone a bit nuts, but once that settles down again, that too will be good for buying low and selling high :) Follow it for a bit, you'll soon see what's good.

Kroutonz

Post by Kroutonz »

Thank you chucksta, yes I believe I have namecoind working correctly. I copied the bitcoin.conf file since I didn't know how to create one otherwise, edited the settings with my info.
I then ran it and got server starting, opened a new cmd window and generated an address. The first address I got didn't start with n, however the second one I got did.
Does namecoind need to be running while I'm attempting to mine?

As I was typing this I figured out what my problem was I think. I had moved the phoenix.exe program into the kernal folder. I was getting an error kernal could not be found.

Hopefully I should be good, I was a little frustrated last night trying to get it to work. But in all honesty I think that if namecoin is to grow, some user friendliness should be adopted.
I know if someone would post a modified version of gui miner with updated pools working, and the client came with a gui it would attract alot more attention.

Chucksta

Post by Chucksta »

Kroutonz wrote:Does namecoind need to be running while I'm attempting to mine?
No, namecoind does not need to run if you are using a pool.

It does need to run if you solo mine: namecoind -server
But probably better off on a pool if you haven't got at least a few GPUs
I've got 8, and I solo :)

You do need to run namecoind if you want to keep track of what is happening with your mining/transactions:

list the transactions made
namecoind listtransactions
namecoind listtransactions "" 1000
list the transactions made and output it to a file
namecoind listtransactions "" 1000 >> transactions.txt

find out how many coins you have in you wallet
namecoind getbalance
namecoind getinfo

namecoind help
namecoind -?
etc.

Yes, plenty of scope for improvement. Namecoin is still pretty new, so there's plenty to be gained by all, and lots that can be done to improve things (by everyone, not just the people behind it).

I've not used the GUI miner since I first started out in BTC mining. Phoenix is the best for my GPUs (5870).

Apparently the 5830 and 5850 are the best $/Mhash... but I prefer to be able to mine more BTC/NMC per hour, therefore the 5870 (420 - 440 / Mhash/s) suits me :)

Kroutonz

Post by Kroutonz »

Yeah once I actually got it working and played around with the flags, phoenix is quite nice. I take it your OC'ing your 5870's? I'm getting 360~ ish with one

-k phatk VECTORS BFI_INT DEVICE=1 AGGRESSION=9 WORKSIZE=128 flags are what I'm using