bitname.org TLD

gst

bitname.org TLD

Post by gst »

I've just enabled an experimental new type of "resolver" for namecoin domains:

One issue with the current .bit TLD is adoption, as only a small subset of users will install/configure a custom resolver. Instead, I think it would be better (or at least a good alternative) to resolve namecoin names as subdomains of different "traditional" domains (such as "bitname.org"). So instead of resolving, e.g., "wikileaks.bit" directly, you would resolve "wikileaks.bitname.org".

Of course, individual (traditional) domains are a target to censorship. But at the same time the community could "mirror" the namecoin domains under hundreds of different traditional domains. If a single domain goes down users can just switch to another domain. Alternatively, websites that expect such problems can in advance announce several alternative names (under domains such as "bitname.org").

I'm currently also looking for others to provide nameservers for the "bitname.org" domain. My goal is to have different nameservers operated by different individuals. If one of the nameservers needs to filter a particular result (due to local laws), it would then return "servfail" to the client, to allow the client to query another server instead.

The current prototype is using MaraDNS and a simple Python script that generates the zonefile from namecoin's JSON data. For the next "version" I'd like to write a custom DNS server (based on Python Twisted) that also supports the "translate" map method (which is currently not supported). In addition, with the current prototype there are some problems with "ns" entries, as the destination nameserver typically does not know what to do when the domain name is "bitname.org" instead of ".bit". I would be able to fix this issue by just proxying the query directly in my nameserver, however, this will only shift the problem to another layer, as, e.g., Web servers won't recognize "bitname.org" hostnames. Due to this issues I think that the typical usecase of "bitname.org" is to allow .bit users to make their sites available in the traditional DNS system, instead of providing a generic resolver for all ".bit" domain names.

Some further information is available on: http://bitname.org/

gst

Re: bitname.org TLD

Post by gst »

Update: The Python script for the generation of the MaraDNS config is now available at: https://github.com/sysfrog/namecoin

khal
Site Admin

Post by khal »

Good job !

One partial and a little bit ugly solution with forwarded ns is to resolve the host yourself (for example, resolve opennic.bit and www .opennic.bit, the 2 mostly used subdomains) and add them in your bitname.org zone too.

I've seen you edited the wiki too, thanks.
NamecoinID: id/khal
GPG : 9CC5B92E965D69A9
NMC: N1KHAL5C1CRzy58NdJwp1tbLze3XrkFxx9
BTC: 1KHAL8bUjnkMRMg9yd2dNrYnJgZGH8Nj6T

Register Namecoin domains with BTC
My bitcoin Identity - Send messages to bitcoin users
Charity Ad - Make a good deed without paying a cent

khal
Site Admin

Post by khal »

In addition, with the current prototype there are some problems with "ns" entries, as the destination nameserver typically does not know what to do when the domain name is "bitname.org" instead of ".bit".
Could you use a CNAME and DNAME records to map domains with "ns" to their .bit equivalent ?

In the zone file of "opennic.bitname.org" :

@ CNAME opennic.bit. ; to redirect opennic.bitname.org to opennic.bit
@ DNAME opennic.bit. ; to redirect *.opennic.bitname.org to *.opennic.bit

I guess your server must resolve .bit domains to do that.

Edit : you could even put that in bitname.org :
@ DNAME bit.

All would be delegated to .bit domains and subdomains.

Too simple to be true ?

khal
Site Admin

Post by khal »

khal wrote:@ DNAME bit.
Indeed, this was too simple to be true.

When you query your traditionnal DNS server for opennic.dot-bit.org, it replies "opennic.bit" to your traditionnal DNS server, and he don't know what to do with that...
gst wrote:I'm currently also looking for others to provide nameservers for the "bitname.org" domain. My goal is to have different nameservers operated by different individuals. If one of the nameservers needs to filter a particular result (due to local laws), it would then return "servfail" to the client, to allow the client to query another server instead.
Or your domain name could be seized, and a lot of ns servers would be useless...
Or a court could ask you to filter a subdomain on all ns servers, because you are the owner of the domain name...

To avoid that, we must have "resolvers" on different TLDs, but that mean people will need to add each resolver hostnames to their apache conf... (opennic.dot-bit.org, opennic.other-resolver.net, ...). No really simple...

A simplier solution would be to create full proxies (no configuration needed for domain owners).

gigabytecoin

Post by gigabytecoin »

Why doesn't http://dot-bit.bitname.org/ show anything???

is dot-bit.bit not registered..?!?! :P

khal
Site Admin

Post by khal »

gigabytecoin wrote:Why doesn't http://dot-bit.bitname.org/ show anything???

I have, but bitname.org does not resolve "ns" records yet.

Code: Select all

./namecoind name_scan d/dot-bit 1
[
    {
        "name" : "d/dot-bit",
        "value" : "{\"map\": {\"\": {\"ns\": [\"ns0.web-sweet-web.net\", \"ns1.web-sweet-web.net\"]}}}",
        "expires_in" : 7334
    }
]
Gst, i use this configuration in bind to manage "ns" (if that can help you) :

Code: Select all

zone "dot-bit.bit" { type forward; forwarders { 178.32.102.200; 188.165.40.50; }; };
1. resolve ns hostnames if they are not an ip
2. add one forward record in bind for each domain/subdomain that uses ns

gst

Post by gst »

Hi, I've just read your post.

I'm currently a little bit busy, but I'll try to look into this later today or on the weekend.

gst

Post by gst »

khal wrote:
gigabytecoin wrote:Why doesn't http://dot-bit.bitname.org/ show anything???

I have, but bitname.org does not resolve "ns" records yet.
That's fixed now.

The problem was that I used the default arguments for the name_scan JSON query (which therefore only returned the first 500 results). Older NS entries already worked, but all entries past the first 500 were ignored.

gst

Post by gst »

khal wrote:
Could you use a CNAME and DNAME records to map domains with "ns" to their .bit equivalent ?
I currently use NS records, but your solution using CNAME/DNAME records looks really nice. Unforunately it seems that my DNS server (MaraDNS) does not support DNAMEs.

I'll look into this. In the long term I'd like to migrate to my own custom Python/Twisted based DNS server anyway (which will be much more flexible than the current MaraDNS setup).